There are many shortcuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them. (Vicky Baum)

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Ballroom gathering (5)

Wow, it's actually the 5th week of ballroom gathering attendance? Kudos to ourselves ;p

The ball is scheduled on an evening where there is a break during the coming season of the World Cup, yeah...July, baby... And last night *nearly* everybody was excited with practising for the opening of the ball, including the walk down the winding staircase for the ladies, the sets of 'compliments' to different people, bowing like a lady and all that.

I have to be honest that I admire the elegance of ballroom dance, and all those scenes from the movies.  But on the other hand, it also felt a bit artificial to be in a group of really beginner dancers, organizing a ball, and really want to do it right up to the minuscule details of it.  I thought having a dance ball is for the purpose of having a ball, a great time. I did feel like a grownup trying to play a much belated princessy dress-up.

I tried to get an update on the shopping sphree which was supposed to happen on Sunday, but apparently, they did not make it to the cheaper area in town and only one lady managed to buy something.  They sticked to better shopes, and even stopped checking out a shop because 'the quality was not good'.  And some people turned out to already have a gown in their closet. I began to wonder whether the dresscode will hold.  I don't think so. If quality is of a concern, then definitely tacky dress is not an option, and I don't think any of these ladies will already have a tacky dress in their wardrobe that they would relocate with them several thousand miles across the globe.

In any case, I've got my gown, too.  And if I turn out to be the tackiest at the ball, they'd better have an award for me for that... LOL

No comments: